Musical Norfolk and those who have hailed from the county
Norfolk has a rich musical heritage, steeped in folk tune, nautical ditties, and songs inspired by its beautiful landscapes, as well as more modern pop offerings that name-check this wonderful area, but how many of its famous residents could you correctly identify? Those hailing from the county are a talented bunch…
1. Born in King’s Lynn in 1949, this drummer and songwriter has had one of the most acclaimed careers of any British-born musician. While he continues to feature prominently in the UK music scene, his most famous stint was as the drummer for a regally named band.
2. While some of his band mates were born in Lowestoft, in neighbouring Suffolk, this drummer came into the world in 1977 in Great Yarmouth. His former band had a somewhat ‘dim’ sounding name, and was quick to confirm its belief in love.
3. She was born in Norwich in 1969 and remains one of this country’s most prominent songwriters, as well as having achieved modest success in her own right as a singer. This star’s hits include Kylie’s ‘Can’t Get You out of My Head’, Britney’s ‘Toxic’, and Katy Perry’s ‘I Kissed a Girl’, which she co-wrote.
4. She was born in Gorleston in 1978 and has experienced success with a pop group, solo career, retail campaigns, reality TV shows, and mainstream programming. Before all of that, she was a classically trained pianist. She’s also rather famous for being quite the class act…
5. Born in Great Yarmouth in 1981, this former pop icon made her name in a popular band in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Since then she has focused on acting, starring in BBC sitcom Blessed, ITV’s Primeval, and now Casualty.
How did you do? Can you think of any more Norfolk-based stars?
ANSWERS: 1. Roger Taylor 2. Ed Graham, The Darkness 3. Cathy Dennis 4. Myleene Klass 5. Hannah Spearritt, S Club 7